Friday, January 17, 2014

The Food Pyramid is a Lie, Part 1 - History.

You've struggled with weight your whole life, or maybe your whole adult life. You're not necessarily fat, although you might be, but either way you'd like to lose some weight. You eat the foods you were taught were healthy, at least as much as you can, and you've probably tried numerous diets all that have left you hungry, depressed, and absolutely longing for the day when you can go off them. And yet, at the end of it all, you still haven't seen the results you were hoping for and your doctor is STILL telling you to lose some weight.

Sound familiar?

If it does, you aren't alone. For nearly an entire generation, everything we've been told about food and healthy diets by our governments and many scientists is wrong.

But let's back up a little bit. A little bit of history is necessary to put what we're going to talk about here into perspective.

In the US, government nutrition recommendations are made by the US Department of Agriculture. I suppose that might not seem like such a bad choice. They oversee the production of the food, they should know a thing about it. Maybe they do, but they aren't sharing that information with us.

The USDA released their first set of nutrition guidelines in 1894. This was before science understood much about the body's interaction with and need for specific vitamins and minerals, and long before science understood human metabolism well enough to explain WHY a certain diet was healthy or not healthy. Much of it was guesses, pure and simple. This first nutrition guide emphasized foods rich in nutrients and recommended restricting intake of fat, sugars and starches.

 After a few variations on that original idea, in 1943 the USDA gave us the BASIC 7. The BASIC 7 was somewhat an attempt to help people maintain some kind of healthy diet during the food rationing of World War II. The BASIC 7 broke food into 7 food groups, and suggested that people eat some from all the groups every day. That's it. Just eat a some of everything on the chart and you'll be ok.


This might seem like an overly simplistic view of nutrition considering what we (think we) know about nutrition today. In reality it was probably better than what they push on us now.

In 1956, the USDA decided that there was actually only 4 food groups, and revised their nutrition recommendations again. Those 4 food groups are as follows:

1. Vegetables and Fruits - This makes no sense. Fruits and vegetables do not fit the same dietary role.
2. Milk and Dairy.
3. Meat and proteins - Ok, I can get behind this one, but there should be a mention of fats here too, as they are critical to body growth and function.
4. Cereals and Breads - This group constitutes pretty much everything made from grain.

And then there's the "other foods" category, including pretty much everything else. This would include condiments such as ketchup and jelly, also oils, butter, etc.

With the Basic 4, the USDA started making serving suggestions, recommending just how much of each you should have of each. The Basic 4 was heavy on cereals and breads, and equally on fruits and vegetables.




In 1992 the USDA whipped out the work of genius that is the Food Pyramid. This new recommendation laid out plainly how much of each group you should be eating relative to the other groups. Unlike the previous version that weighted fruits/vegetables and cereals equally, this new pyramid distinguishes between fruits and vegetables, giving recommendations for each. The biggest change is that according to the USDA, the foundation of a healthy diet is now breads, cereals, and other products made from grain. Remember this.


This is where what most people know about nutrition stops. Most of us were taught either the Basic 4 or the Food Pyramid as children, and this is what we base our diets on. This idea of a healthy diet has been ingrained in our minds, and is reinforced by what is available in stores and government policy. I don't think for a moment that the scientists at the USDA ever actually BELIEVED that this is the path to a healthy diet, but at least there was some kind of attempt to get there.

In 2005 the USDA revised their food pyramid and changed the name to "MyPyramid". This new incarnation still keeps cereals and grain based foods as the foundation, but increased the recommendations for vegetables and dairy products. In reality, the differences between the recommended shares for each group, with the exception of meat products, is negligible. In that way, this new pyramid is very similar to the Basic 7. If you look at the graphic below, and you try to figure out just how much of something you're supposed to eat, you end up feeling like you should pretty much split it all equally, and maybe just have a little less meat. This is in line with most of what we've been told about nutrition for the last 20 years, that protein is good but fat is bad and since protein comes with fat we have to limit our intake of it. Over the course of this blog, I'm going to explain why this is complete nonsense.



So, that's the very short version of the history of the USDA's nutrition recommendations. My opinion, and that of many others, is that this is pretty much all garbage. Our belief is that this food pyramid, and every other version of it going back to the Basic 4 were developed not to promote healthy Americans, but to promote the US Agriculture industry. The USDA is not solely to blame here. Congress has had a very big part to play in the intentional deception of America into thinking they are eating healthy. Here's a couple of thoughts that back this position.

In 2011, congress blocked an attempt by the USDA to revise the school lunch program. Thanks to multi-million dollar lobbing efforts by large food companies like Schwan's and Con-Agra foods, congress was able to protect the status quo for those companies. The status quo being that pizza sauce counts as a vegetable. No joke. Pizza sauce is a vegetable according to the US Congress. And here's the link to back it up.  NYTIMES - Congress Blocks New Rules on School Lunches

Read that. It will probably make your blood boil. Every time I think about it I grab a pitchfork and look for my nearest congressperson...

The promotion of cereals to the largest share of the food pyramid coincides perfectly with other USDA policies promoting heavy production of grains in the US. Pre-1900, starches and carbohydrates in general were viewed as unhealthy in large portions. But in the 1930s with the introduction of the combine and other self propelled mechanized farm machinery, production skyrocketed. But let's not forget that the USDA is also responsible for promoting the products that American farmers grow! Boy it sure would be easy for them to tell farmers to grow grain, and then tell Americans to eat a lot of grain. Solved both problems at once! Science be damned... But all the grain has to go somewhere! The USDA has to make sure there's a market to support the farmers, and they have. You.

Let's review a few relevant points:

1. Government nutrition guidelines haven't really changed in 60 years.
2. The USDA has a HUGE conflict of interest between supporting modern industrial agriculture and telling Americans what we should eat.
3. Congress has no shame whatsoever and will step in to legislate nutrition to benefit large corporate donors.
4. Americans are getting fatter and fatter.
5. Many who try to lose weight on a supposed "healthy" diet simply can't. It doesn't work.

Conclusion: Pretty much everything we've ever been taught about a healthy diet is a lie.

In Part 2, we are going to go even further back in history to study the diets of ancient man, and then go into more detail about specifically WHY the modern food pyramid does not lead to a healthy diet, and why eating such a diet might actually kill you.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you. I appreciate your thoughtfulness on this. Examining motive and context. Of COURSE economic pushing for industry which is exactly why NOW we are the only country that has a government that wont label GMO's! Its because its an industry that was designed by our government as a weapon and as a way to make profits and to do that they need customers. So they take over the FDA and use our government to push GMOs and give economic incentives and tax breaks and create regulations on organic farms and so forth.

    Wow... sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avoid orange juice and drink a glass of water instead. franchise poke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete

  4. vitality male enhancer and super male vitality gnc super male vitality dosent work vitality male alex jones male vitality before after infowars store super male vitality androtrex - natural male vitality heb pharmacy male vitality male sexual vitality herb pharm super male vitality\ mortal combat super male vitality total male vitality infowarssuper male vitality funny judges were amazed that one product was able to do all of the following:Vitality RX Male Enhancement Reviews - Stay Longer & Perform Harder!Vitality Rx Reviews : In our possessed and hot lifestyle each man needs an unrivaled inclusion in the room some way or another. Each man needs a more prominent erection, while others have to use what they have to upgrade their stamina and energy of peaks. super male vitality alex jones review

    http://www.cureidea.com/vitality-male-enhancement/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am here to testify how great man called Dr_anuge helped me out with herbs and roots which he prepared for me in use of curing herpes. I takes his product (cure) for (14) days before I am to known I was totally cure out of it, and i promised him that i will testify my healing to the whole world about how he cured me which I am very happy I am doing now , dr_anuge also cure all kinds of diseases , HEPATITIS, A,B,C , CANCER, DIABETICS , FRIBLOD,ALL KINDS OF SPELL CAST ,and so much more , please you can get him contacted on his whatsapp or call on 2348164866838 He can also cure following virus
    (1).Herpes
    (2).Cancer
    (3).Hepatitis
    (4).Hiv/aids
    (5).Pcos
    (6).Fibroid

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to share my testimonies about the Good Work of  Dr.Anuge who got me cured from herpes simplex virus (HSV1&2) with his herbs, I never thought that I would live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from herpes, I had spent a lot of money going from one Hospital to another looking for a way to get rid of this disease, the hospital has been my home everyday residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this fateful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how @Dr_anuge7 helped someone in curing his herpes disease using his healing Herbs, quickly I copied his email just to give him a test I spoke to him, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, after I received his herbs and I took it as instructed. I was cured permanently from herpes. My herpes disease was gone. so I decided to share my testimony, that nothing is impossible with God, God used a man to heal me. No matter what you are passing through, no matter how deadly the sickness is and no matter what the situation is God that did mine is still going to do yours, people suffering from herpes, brain tumor, kidney disease, pcos, AIDS, ALS,copd, asthma, arthritis,herpes, Cancer,Hpv, any kind of disease, you can reach him now via Gmail address: dranuge@gmail.com or whatsapp  +2348164866838

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS.I was positive to the Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw testimony about DR Ebhota online on how he cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via FEDEX or DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i'm so happy! that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email: (drebhotasoltion@gmail.com) You can contact him on WhatsApp +2348089535482 He also have the herb to cure difference cure for any sickness (1) HERPES,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) HEPATITIS B,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA..

    ReplyDelete
  8. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    I thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because lifebecame meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, thesymptoms became very severe and bold and made my familyrun from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gaveup everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because thedoctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs butthey never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me makingit worse. I was doing some research online someday when Icame across testimonies of some people of how DR Ebhota cure them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thoughtit was a joke but later decided to contact him on the detailsprovided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent mehis herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after twoweeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptomsdisappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you Dr Ebhota because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep ontelling the world about you. If you are going through samesituation worry no more and contact DR Ebhota viadrebhotasolution@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348089535482.he also special on cureing 1. HIV/AIDS2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4.ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6.DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE(HPV)8. ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or LupusErythematosus

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you heart broken or thinking of how you are to live the rest of your life with Herpes? I'm here to tell you to cry no more for Dr Aza is here to help you with the cure for herpes. I was diagnose of genital herpes November 2019 and i have been searching and asking questions to see if i could get something to cure the disease because i did not believe what the doctors say that no cure is found yet. I came across a comment on Youtube and the person testify how she was cured from herpes and hpv after using Dr Aza herbal medicine. I quickly contact Dr Aza on email (drazaherbalcenter@gmail.com ) and explain my problem to him and he prepare the herbs and send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and tell me to go for checkup after usage which i did after two weeks of taken the herbal medicine and my result was NEGATIVE  and my doctor confirm with me that am completely free from herpes. I'm so happy and grateful to Dr Aza for curing me from herpes and i will continue to share this for people out there to know that there is cure for herpes. Dr Aza also have the cure for different type of diseases and virus like HERPES, HIV, HSV1&2, DIABETES, CANCER, VAGINAL INFECTION, HPV, Sickle Cell, Cold Sore ect. You can contact Dr Aza on email and WhatsApp.... Email: drazaherbalcenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1(315)7951518  . His Website: drazaherbalcenter.com   Dr Aza herbal medicine is the best medicine for herpes and you can contact him today to get cured

    ReplyDelete

  10. what a great testimony about doctor ONUWA i want to use this opportunity to thank doctor ONUWA on how i was cured from HSV 3 months ago i want to the hospital for a test and i confirmed that i have HSV positive since 4 years ago and i contacted so many doctors and all the doctor was all scam since 4 years ago but a friend of mine introduce me to doctor ONUWA how he was cured from HSV and i really contacted him and i purchase for the items after that doctor ONUWA sent me the medication and tells me the instruction on how i will be taking the medication how i take the medication for 2 weeks and 3 days after taking it i went to the hospital to confirm and the news was so excited confirmed that i was HSV negative once again i want to thank doctor ONUWA for the great thing he done for me you can contact him on is EMAIL dronuwa2@gmail.com and him whats-app number +2348115914591 he can cure a lot of disease
    1 Cancer

    2 Hpv1/2

    3 HEPATITIS A AND B

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr.Aba on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr.Aba today on this Email address: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2348107155060       

    ReplyDelete